Turns out I got a new calling last month. I'm a Relief Society teacher (that's the women's organization in my church). I teach once a month and thought I'd try sharing some of what I've learned in preparation for my lesson here. There's a good chance I'll do that every month. We're currently studying out of the teachings of President George Albert Smith.
As I'm posting in the middle of my preparations, my thoughts won't always be complete. I welcome comments especially on these lesson posts. This week's lesson is entitled "Stay on the Lord's Side of the Line". It's about obedience and here are my thoughts:
Again, feel free to share your insights with me :) and anyone's invited to come hear me teach.
As I'm posting in the middle of my preparations, my thoughts won't always be complete. I welcome comments especially on these lesson posts. This week's lesson is entitled "Stay on the Lord's Side of the Line". It's about obedience and here are my thoughts:
- Pres. Smith said, "the laws of the Lord . . . are but the sweet music of the voice of our Father in heaven . . . They are but the advice and counsel of a loving parent". In Oct 2010 Elder Eyring gave a talk where he spoke about a prophet's counsel to get out of debt and how he and his wife sought for ways to do that. They made some decisions based on what the prophet said and were obedient. As a result, they paid off their mortgage. Elder Eyring then said something I really like. He said because of that experience, "our family still listens for any word in a prophet's message that might be sent to tell what we should do to find the security and peace God wants for us."
- How do we overcome the adversary? In the lesson there are lots of examples of how the devil works and can trick us. President Smith warns of us this and counsels us to overcome our evil tendencies and resist temptation. I've been thinking about how we do that and two scriptures come to mind. Alma 37:33—"teach them to withstand every temptation of the devil, with their faith on the Lord Jesus Christ." and Helaman 5:12—"it is the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ . . . that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds . . . when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you . . . because of the rock upon which ye are built."
- President Smith invites us to "think prayerfully" about our problems when temptation comes.
- Finally, he reminds us that staying on the Lord's side of the line requires obedience to God's commandments. I've been trying to brainstorm which specific commandments keep us on the Lord's side. I know the answer is all of them, but the lesson lists several specific commandments, so I thought I'd brainstorm a list of my own. I'm still working on it.
Again, feel free to share your insights with me :) and anyone's invited to come hear me teach.

1 comment:
Hey I like this! It made me think of a lesson I once had in RS in Rexburg. We were meeting in a classroom rather than a church building and I think it made it feel less "church-y" for some. The lesson was all about how the building was still dedicated to the Lord and how the moment we stepped inside the building we needed to be respectful of that and reverent and especially when we were there for our church meetings.
Anyway, the point was made that even with something simple like this, Heavenly Father has given us a guideline, and the moment we decide not to follow our Heavenly Father's council, we are in Satan's territory and more likely to be under his influence.
It stuck with me and I've thought of it often--you're either on one side of the line or the other. There's no such thing as a "little sin," because if we're not following God we are against him. I can't remember the scripture that I really like that says something like, you're either with God or you're fighting against him...but I'm sure you could find one if you really wanted.
The great thing about life is that everyone is disobedient, and Heavenly Father knew it would be this way so He planned a way for us to overcome ourselves and be even better. Through our Savior we can all be forgiven of anything and EVERYthing and try again. Heavenly Father knows we aren't perfect and doesn't expect us to be; but he does expect us to try our very best.
Love you sis! I know you'll do a great job, and I would love to be in your class. Everyone there will be lucky to get to know you a little better.
Post a Comment