Wow. That's about all I can say to sum up the last four days of my life.
I flew into Rostov for a couple of days and took a train down to Sochi so I could spend some time in two of my mission cities. I can't exactly explain all of the feelings I had while I was there. But I'll try to explain some of them.
The first day I was in Rostov I took a little time to just walk around the streets. As I was walking in the places I walked as a missionary, places that I really didn't think I'd see again when I finished my mission, I felt overwhelmed. For me, the Rostov mission is a sacred place, one of a few that means a lot because of what I did there, what I felt there, and the way I saw Heavenly Father work miracles there. It was incredible!
Later on that same day I surprised one of my investigators, Oksana (for those of you who might remember, she was the girl in Rostov who was baptized on Christmas). She didn't know I was coming, but I'd planned with another member of the Church to meet up with her. Again, the feelings I had when I saw her are indescribable. I am so grateful for the influence members of the Church have on each other. I found out that Oksana is preparing right now to serve a mission. I am really, really, really thankful for all of the people who have helped her to be a good, active member of the Church, and I'm really grateful for the help we give to those in our branches and wards.
Sunday at Church I found out one of the deaf girls I worked with in Rostov had been baptized. In Relief Society the translator that normally comes was gone so they asked me to interpret for the deaf. Wow, I tried to explain that I'd forgotten a lot and was willing to do it but would probably do a poor job. They insisted that I'd do fine. I would say I've probably forgotten about 70% of what I knew, but I remembered the alphabet (at least most of it :) and they helped me find words I was searching for. Later on that day I got to see one of the elders I'd taught in the MTC.
I took a train down to Sochi and this time around I went wading in the Black Sea (I would have gone swimming, but I didn't find a place to change my clothes until it was too late). I got to see a gorgeous sunset there on the hill where I used to live. The investigators/members I searched for in Sochi had all become inactive and moved in the 3 years since I left, so I didn't get to meet up with any of them, but my feelings at walking in that place were still poignant.
On my way to the airport in Rostov I met Elder Cameron. He and his wife have been serving in Rostov for the past year or year and a half. Apparently they served in Sochi and were grateful to pick up an MTC grammar book I'd accidently left there. I'd wondered about what happened to that book for a long time. I really didn't mean to leave it there, but am glad it helped them out. He invited me back to their apartment for a few minutes and it was really nice to visit with them for just a little bit about the mission and people in it. We talked about the elders and sisters I'd taught who were in that mission and it was REALLY good to hear how well they're doing.
I returned to Moscow late last night and thinking about the Rostov mission still brings really neat feelings to me. I'm sorry that I keep repeating that word, but really, there's not much of another way I can describe it. Wow. I was amazed while on my mission how much Heavenly Father loved the people there, and I'm even more amazed that I got to go back and see how miracles there are multiplying.
1 comment:
Walk down memory lane... such experiences are always special, but especially when it is steeped in the great service to others. I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!
Post a Comment