11 July 2008

I got a reading ticket.

I decided that in my random internship where I don't do too much except run and lift weights, I'd make a weight training program for kayakers to give to my coach. That way I could fill the requirement the University has to "contribute" at your internship. The only difficulty with that is I don't know the Russian for all the things you do in a weight room. I did the only thing I could think of. I went to the library.

The Russian State Library (formerly the Library in Honor of Lenin) is Russia's largest, and one of the world's largest libraries. Perhaps for this reason people aren't allowed to just walk in and peruse the books. I found out I had to get a reading ticket. No, this is not a fine for breaking some part of the reading code (although I did have to pay 100 rubles for it). It's basically a library card that doesn't let me check out any books, it just lets me into the library.

Suffice it to say, there are several things that differentiate Russian libraries, or perhaps just this library, from those I am familiar with. After getting my reading ticket I went inside and started searching for a librarian. I had previously decided I'd look up books on bodybuilding as I figured just about any of the exercises I'd want to include would probably be listed in a bodybuilding book. I found a librarian and asked for help. She laughed at me. I guess I can't really blame her. Here's this little girl who comes up to her desk—probably the same desk where people come to ask for books by Tolstoy or on curing the plague or about the Napoleonic wars—and in a soft tone (it's a library) I ask for books about bodybuilding. I think it was completely unexpected. She did help me find what I need and fill out the forms for someone to go get the books.

That's another idiosyncracy. I am not allowed to peruse the shelves. I have to order my books which means that it takes somewhere around 8-10 hours to fill my order. I was instructed to come back the next day.

Upon returning to the library I knew I would need to go to my designated reading room, and was under the false impression my books would be waiting for me there. Not being familiar with the layout, I asked a librarian where was room #3. She pointed down the hall. I asked for a little clarification about whether it was to the right or left, close or far. Refusing to speak, she repeated the action twice, pointing down the hall. I wondered if I'd broken some unknown rule by speaking. I followed her fingers and did find the reading room.

I soon discovered that my first step was to collect the books from a librarian and I have to admit I was a bit horrified when I was told the pointing librarian was the one who had my particular books. I calmed myself down a little by thinking maybe she had a horrible cold, or maybe she's mute and could hear my question but is unable to speak. I timidly approached her desk and as quietly as I could asked if she could get my books. It was as though it were a different person. She quiet audibly began speaking to me, instructing me in the process of taking and returning the books. She actually seemed quite friendly. I was flabergasted. I have no clue what happened. Did she have respect for me now that she knew I was going to read in the reading room instead of just sit in it? Had she made a vow or even a bet of some kind that prevented her from speaking? Was she observing a private moment of silence? Maybe my bodybuilding books just scared her into talking once she knew that I was the one who'd ordered them.

All-in-all, I'd say my first encounters with the library were successful, albeit strange.

As a final note, sorry about the huge epistles I've been writing lately. I'll try to keep things a little shorter, but to describe this experience, I really did need a lot of words.

3 comments:

Whitney said...

Hey Rachel...I just saw you have a blog! I was thinking about going to the library, but I don't know if I could have figured it out!

Audrey said...

Hi Rach! It sure is fun to hear and see what you are up to. Nick and I love to hear about all your exciting adventures. Take care!

smileynann said...

YPA! You're coming home tomorrow!!! I'm really excited to see you again. Have a good trip!