Probably all of my readers already know, this summer I taught adult GED classes. The middle of August I came back from the reunion/Kyle’s wedding just in time to make the graduation. This top picture is me, introducing one of my students as our next speaker.
I had some pretty great students who were SUPER excited about working on their GED. About ½ my students were able to take the test (the other half were disappointed, but committed to keep working). At the graduation we had all kinds of awards, and those who took the GED got to wear a cap and gown. There was no money flashing (you know how I love that), but I loved the ceremony. All my students came to the ceremony (I was the only teacher who had that happen :), and it was just a really fun time. This is the best picture of I got with all (but the one walking across the stage) of them together. My cameraman was great, but I don't think I gave very good instructions.
We had some pretty sweet awards, thanks in part to Karen who helped me brainstorm. Some of the best were as follows:
- For the guy who liked to do his work in his head: Proof Positive That the Human Brain is Better Than a Calculator.
- For the woman who absolutely loved to point out which tree branches were obtuse and which were acute following a geometry lesson: Most Able to Find Her Angle Anywhere.
- For the guy who wrote a really great essay on a subject he was apparently very familiar with: Most Likely to Pick Up a Girl Based on Writing Skills Alone.
- For the woman who gave birth one night after class, did some homework in the hospital, and was back in her seat the next week: Most Dedicated in the Face of Labor; She Really Delivers.
This is the third skirt I’ve made in my life.
The first was a bejeweled denim skirt I made in Rock
Springs. Mom made me practice modeling on the catwalk and standing up straight,
imagining a string was pulling out the top of my head. I think I got second
prize at the county fair . . . maybe third . . . maybe just half a certificate.
I kind of liked the skirt, but the sewing, and definitely the whole posture
thing really got on my nerves.
I finished my second skirt about three years ago during my
second knee surgery. I think I’d started it about four years before that. It’s
bright green, the hem is kind of crooked, but I figure you don’t really notice
because the bright green stripes are on the diagonal anyway. You can catch me
wearing it on St. Patty’s Day, if there’s a sudden change in temperature (cold
to warm), or if I’m out of clean clothes.
I bought the pattern and fabric for this skirt a year and a
half ago (I’m getting better). I was supposed to do a sew-a-long on this
awesome craft site. It was going to be INCREDIBLE! But, as luck would have it,
each time I checked the site for the first steps there was nothing new.
Apparently I was lucky enough to hop on the band wagon at the exact time the
blogger decided to hop off. So, after WAY too many hours working on this “easy”
pattern (okay, legitimately, it probably is easy, it’s just I’m super novice at
sewing so the “easy” for me is like Algebra to a third grader), I’m pretty
pleased. I’d convinced myself that if it turned out uber (sp?) ugly that it
would be healthy for me. I just needed more experience on a sewing machine.
While it’s possible my vision has become blurry in the process, I think this
might be a little more than a “it’s the last possible thing in my closet that
doesn’t smell like dirt” skirt.
2 comments:
Those are funny awards. That sounds like it was pretty awesome!
I LOVE your skirt. I think you look way cute in it. I even clicked on your picture so I could hopefully see it a little bigger, and WOW!!! I got a full-screen Rachel! Then I couldn't figure out how to get out of it; it just kept getting bigger. Haha. Seriously though, nice job on it. :)
Love the skirt! It reminds me of some of the patterns Karen and I found one day in Grma Stewart's basement. All you're missing is the 3/4 sleeve jacket and the little white gloves! =)
Post a Comment