28 October 2011

Visiting Teaching Adventures

To protect the innocent, and not embarass myself too much, please know that I have waited some length of time to post this story, you'll have no clue who was involved, which means that any incriminating details in this story will remain strictly between my visiting teaching companion (whom you do not know) and me.

So, at some point in time, my companion and I went somewhere to visit someone on our visiting teaching list. It happened to be after dark in an area we were unfamiliar with. We arrived at the dwelling place of said someone and proceeded to the door. There happened to be some kind of spooky things in the yard and the windows, but we were confident the address was correct so proceeded without caution. The light on the porch was out, but we rang the doorbell anyway. No one answered. We knocked. No one answered.

We were about to write a note and leave when a car pulled into the driveway. Great! we thought, she's here! We could tell there were two people in the car, a man and a woman, but because it was so dark we couldn't actually distinguish features. Instead of getting out immediately, they lingered in the car and suddenly I realized, we were probably witnessing the end of a date. I was super interested in who the someone we visit teach was going out with, but turned around and faced the door, telling my companion what I thought was happening. She agreed and we started discussing plans.

We couldn't be sure that they saw us, it was after all dark. We didn't know if he'd walk her to the doorstep or not. There was a covered grill on the front porch, we could have hid under that. There was no way we could  return to my vehicle as the driveway they'd pulled into was between us and it. There was obviously no one in the dwelling place, so we couldn't retreat that way either. We decided to just wait it out. As a minute turned into five we couldn't help feeling we'd made the wrong choice. Finally, the woman exited the vehicle and started coming toward us. I didn't know if she'd seen us or not, but I didn't want to scare her and could tell now it wasn't the same someone as the someone that we visit teach. We quickly exited the front doorway and called out to her. She was surprised, but I think she was more surprised at how loud I was yelling (like I said, I wanted her to know we were her) than at the fact we were there. She got us straightened out and we were, in the end, able to find the someone we visit teach and visit teach her.

1 comment:

brooke said...

Haha how awkward...!!! THat is so funny though. I can totally imaginine you hiding behind the grill and her seeing you hiding...that would have been hilarious too.