21 June 2008

Swimming

Whew! This is turning out to be some week. So, have you ever heard Brad Paisley's song Ticks? That's about all I thought about yesterday (not really, but if you've talked to Mom, she probably thinks that's all I thought about yesterday).

After a succesful day of training (yesterday I rowed 6 kilometers for a lifetime total of 10 kilometers rowed!) I decided it was the day to take the plunge. I've been told that you can go swimming in the Moscow River as long as it's before the river reaches the city. It just so happens I train near that part of the river and thought it was a perfect day to try it out. I had made an attempt before, but wimped out when the beach was covered with sunbathers. I get a little shy when I think everyone's going to be watching me.

Unfortunately, the place I determined to go was a bit more wildernessy than I anticipated. After hiking 10 min. through brush I thought, "oh no! I wonder if they have ticks in Russia". I then tried to very carefully make my way to the bank touching as few plants as physically possible. Several interesting things happened while I was trying to swim. I saw a snorkler. Why would anyone snorle in the Moscow River? I have no clue, but he was in full snorkle gear, it kind of creeped me out. Also, apparently, the police find it neccessary to drive in wildernessy areas with their sirens on. I heard about 5 cars go by while I was trying to swim.

As I got ready to go, I saw a strange looking bug on my shirt, I don't know if it was a tick or not, but AHHHH! I'm glad I survived my trip to the Moscow River, I was a little braver this time and went wading, but I don't anticipate returning there anytime soon.

2 comments:

Joel said...

Ticks! Ew! I've only had a tick once. I was sitting in drivers ed when I slid down in my seat when a sudden pain in my back caused me to sit back up. I reached back (hard to reach) and felt something like a thick scab on my back. I thought (weird. Where did that come from?).

Later I was up at a friend's house when I went into the bathroom to look. I thought it looked like a very wierd looking scab. I kind of prodded it and found it was only attached on one end. Then I pulled, and saw little legs shoot out.

YAAARRRRRGGGG!!!!!!!

I freaked out and went home, then straight to the doctor. Sure enough, it was a tick (the larger but less disease-infested variety).

Interestingly enough I made my doctor's day. Doctor Robison had been a med intern when he happened to be in the room while a neuro-surgeon, spinal surgeon, and other nervous-system specialists discussed gravely a case where a girl was showing signs of paralysis. Dr. Robison had heard of ticks in people's hair causing that problem if they hadn't been treated for a long time (ticks can hide in hair pretty good if the hair's thick).

While they discussed the grim diagnosis, he wandered over and began looking carefully through her hair. Bingo! There was a fat tick. He then calmly and with dignify cleared his throat and told those highly-skilled specialists that he knew what the problem was.

So while I was a little but traumatized, Dr. Robison had a grand time telling the story to the nurse and my mom. He used a needle to unhook the tick's head from my back, looking happy the entire time.

Anywho, no worries, Rachel... :)

Rachel said...

Wow Joel, that was a little grody, I'm not sure that I feel comforted. However, I did have a pretty good laugh. Way to sacrifice your body to science!