16 June 2008

Update


Last Thursday I went to Swan Lake in the Bolshoi Theater (probably Russia's most famous theater)!


It was a pretty big night. I was told that one of Russia's most famous dancers, Svetlana Zakharova would be dancing in the main role (that's her in the picture).

I went to the theater hoping to find tickets. I decided I'd be willing to pay around 1500 rubles (about $60). When I got to the theater, the people selling wanted around 3000 rubles. I declined and waited around to see if they'd drop the prices just before the show started. As I was waiting a girl came up to me with a student ticket and asked if I wanted to buy it from her. I said I would and she charged me 100 rubles (about $4.25). AWESOME!

What I didn't realize about my ticket is that students only get to sit down if someone else doesn't come. So, I watched all two and a half hours of the show standing on a tiny corner of a stair where I sometimes had room to put both feet, but sometimes only one. I like to think that I was training for the ballet as I had to assume several unnatural positions in order to see the ballet. Was it worth it? for $4.25, heck yes!

In other news, Saturday I went to an Uzbekistani restaurant with a couple of guys from the program. It was called Kish Mish, and sat right next to another restaurant called Hesh Besh. One of the kids ordered chicken stomachs and said they tasted pretty good. It was only today that we found out, not only did he get chicken stomachs, but that particular dish includes intestines and various other entrails (okay, are there really any other organs included in the term entrails? I don't know). Maybe that explains why he's been sick the past couple of days?

No news yet about soccer or English or any kind of money. I'm still looking for work, and maybe all I'll be able to do for the next six weeks is look for work, but I think I'm having a pretty good time looking.

2 comments:

Joel said...

Congrats on the rare cultural experience! To watch one of the most famous (if not THE most famous) Russian Ballets Swan Lake in a famous Russian theatre being performed by a famous current Ballerina is exellent! Especially since you ended up paying so little for it.

Good luck on the job hunting! I hope you'll have more 'Swan Lake" experience to make your internship a success.

The Clements Family said...

Hey Rachel, I am so excited to hear that you are a blogger. It is so fun to hear first hand what you are doing. I'll check out your blog often. It sounds like you have quite the stamina. I hate to admit it, but I would have trouble sitting through a 2 1/2 hour ballet, much less standing! Props to you. Good luck finding work/ working out. It sounds like fun! Love, Megan