07 September 2009

4 Weeks

I've had students for 4 weeks now, about a month. I've given a test, written referrals, stopped fights, not stopped fights, taught a little, been frustrated some, lost all my electronic files 3 times, and basically have had an experience.

I'm feeling pretty good about things right now. They could be going much better, but I think I'm going to get a handle on this school thing. I'm not teaching very much, my students have trouble quieting down, but I'm seeing some progress in that area and am very, very hopeful that I'll figure it out.

A week and a half ago I had two fights in one class period. The first I stopped, the second resulted in the police pepper-spraying everyone (I got a little of what was floating around). This last week I threw a desk in front of a student and grabbed another's belt (which she'd just taken off) in order to avert a fight. But, the most exciting news is on Friday I taught some things to some of the students in my 4th hour! I really do think I'm going to figure out how to get the class settled down and keep their interest long enough to teach them math. It's an exciting life @ Raleigh-Egypt and I think I'm going to make it.

1 comment:

Audrey said...

That is crazy. I wish I had some good advice to give you but all I can say is hang in there! I do know that anywhere it takes a little while for students to learn the routine and figure it out so I hope it continues to get better for you. You are amazing and I know that you can do it - good luck!