Today it happened. I began 4th block and my students were silent! It was incredible, all but about 3 or 4 of them had pencils in their hands and were ready to learn. It lasted a good 20–30 min, and for the most part, they continued to do the work I asked them to the rest of the class period. If I can repeat this, my students will learn!
I think there were a couple reasons for the change in behavior.
1) Actually posting rules in my class, making them super clear, and being pretty consistent with them since Tuesday.

2) Two (out of twenty?) of my talkers were out today.
3) I gave one of my students his own suspension referral to fill out. At the beginning of class I told him, whatever he decided to do, if it was be insubordinate, strike someone without causing an injury, strike someone and cause an injury . . . he just needed to make sure to fill out the referral with his name, the date and time, and check the box of the action before he did it. That would save me some time at the end. I laughed at myself for actually telling him to do it with a straight face. He stayed in his seat most of the block.
4) I told my students I was really happy to see them. I don't know if I was, but I was really happy at the beginning of the block. I joked around with several of them. My class even said my birthday must be coming up soon I was so happy. I guess I was more of myself.
2 comments:
I'm glad it's going well! I'm sure you're an awesome teacher!
Keep it up teach!!! You are one amazing girl.
Post a Comment